Tuesday, January 09, 2007

i'm off to clean some water

i am off again to nigeria from january 10-feb 3 on a different mission of sorts. i am going to a village called adoka to "teach the teachers" about a biosand water filtration program. we already have the steel mold built and test poured a filter - so that is ready to be up and running.

i will be teaching through the manual i used in the course i took - splitting time between theory and talking to building and testing water filters. i really just want the potential program managers to have a very good hold on the filter, understanding how it works, trouble shooting, setting it up etc. It will be up to them then, to implement the program in the surrounding communities. I will be working with people from a local nigerian organization called peace house - they have already acheived incredible things in other ventures. i am quite confident that this program will be carried out effectively. Dr. Aba, who runs a small mission hospital, is so excited i am sure he will be the motivating factor in getting the program off the ground.

i am a little nervous as i have never done this before and don't have "concrete" (sorry for the pun) plans in place. but i see this as a total "God thing" as my visa was renewed in a miraculous way, funding has come in without me really asking for it, it is now getting really cold the day i leave (so that i can roast in 40 degree celcius) :-) But i know God will work through me - it is not of my own doing!

I don't know how often i will be able to access the internet there as i will be in a smaller village... but i will try to keep you updated as often as possible..

Have a wonderful month - see you in february!

for more information about the water filter go to www.cawst.org
it was even featured in the calgary herald last week!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I sure hope you made it out of Calgary before the storm hit. I haven't heard otherwise, so I'll assume that you did. Have a good time and if you're ever not quite sure what you're talking about, just bullshit. you should be good at it after all those years of college right? I'm just joking. Just look it up in the book. and take lots of pictures of the filter too. I want to know exactly how it works and what it looks like when you get back.

Talk to you later.

Nancy on mission said...

I hope your arrival is without any concerns. I am praying for you as you take on a important project. You will do an awesome job.I enjoy your blog and look forward to reading more if you have internet.

Anonymous said...

Alida!!

I was just watching CBC news here in Vic and there was a spot on the biosand water filter. They showed some people working in Africa setting them up...and at first I thought I saw you, and started yelling at the tv "THAT'S ALIDA"!!!!...but I'm not sure if it was you...and I didn't catch where exactly they were. Anyways....it made me think of you - and reminded me to pray for you. So know that you are being prayed for and missed. You are doing amazing things, for so many! Bless you, dear friend!!!