Wednesday, May 30, 2007

knee rash

i upgraded a board today from a beginner board to a lighter one. it didn't go as well. i had a hard time finding my centre of gravity, and kept pitching myself over the right side of the board. that, and i have a hard time going from a laying to a standing position in one easy quick jump while being swept in a wave. hence, i end up on my knees part way and get a rash on them.
i cut my foot, burned my bum (despite sunscreen and a completely overcast day), and then my board hit me in the face (it was my fault, i had it parallel to a wave so it picked it up and pitched the board into my face.) i had a swollen lip for the afternoon but that settled down.
it hasn't been sunny at all, very overcast and cloudy but obviously the sun is getting through! i met a girl at the hostel here who is also working on her surfing, so it is nice to be able to leave my stuff on the beach and not worry about someone jumping out of a bush to take it.
we had a little viewing party at noon today. we were both laying on the beach when i noticed a few figures emerge from the trees and park themselves on a tree stump. they just sat and unabashadely stared at us. then in my right peripheral vision i saw movement, and lined up on the grass were 6 other construction workers. they kept coming and coming. i think there were at least 15 guys sitting and watching us some point. they were obviously on a lunch break, but were mysteriously not eating lunch. filling themselves on the eye candy i suppose.
i had to bring my surf board back and ask them to downgrade me back to a beginner board so that i can get more practice actually standing instead of falling. when i get better at that, i will try the smaller lighter board again... i just have the expectation that i should be good at things immediately. i don't want to wait to get better; i only have a week darn it!! :-)
so it will be back to the beach tomorrow. tamarindo is a good place for beginners to learn, waves aren't too big and it isn't crowded due to low season. good time to come...
hope you are all well and that there is no snow!

No comments: