Sunday, June 03, 2007

internal spedometer

when i arrived in costa rica i was speeding around, thinking i needed to be in the water NOW, needed to surf 12 hours a day or it wouldn't be worth it, got frustrated with people when they walked too slow, wondered what people did all day because it appeared many people did not work at all.
my internal spedometer was still revving when i arrived.
my crazy dutch work ethic and my hospital job don't allow me to be still.
i have slowed down over the last several days. once i took a surfing lesson i realized it is totally impossible to surf 12 hours a day. that would be like working out at the gym for 12 hours straight. i realized that it was okay to actually sit on a beach and think, sometimes of absolutely nothing. i have wandered the same 3 streets of the town, not really caring that i have walked by a particular shop window 30 times already. i have swung in a hammock with a book and a coffee and thoroughly enjoyed it.
my internal spedometer is now going just fast enough to make me get up in the morning and putter me around for the day (except when i surf, i do go hard). and now my vacation is over. tomorrow i head to san jose to do souvenir shopping, and then a long trip back home. and i will be forced to put the pedal to the metal on my internal spedometer. (i am leaving for kenya sept 2 and have way to much to do).
it was nice while it lasted....

No comments: