Monday, February 18, 2008

finally something funny...

i have this black skirt that i bought at superstore last summer for $8. it is a stretchy cotton skirt that is versatile enough to wear as a tube top dress(haven't tried that yet!), or folds downs to be a normal skirt. i have grown to love it because it is easy to move in. especially when we do home visits. i usually have to climb over, under, or through wooden or barbed wire fences.

it has caused me some embarrassment however. last november i was up in kitale, kenya with the relief team on a food distribution. we were eating at a restaurant and i was heading into the main building. i stepped over a stone barrier, but the bottom of my sandal caught the back hem of my skirt. when i put my foot on the ground, it took my black stretchy skirt with it, fully flashing my big white butt! thank goodness, the restaurant was empty and no one was temporarily blinded.

the men at the supermarket were not so fortunate last week (or maybe they thought they were fortunate). i went to a place called Tuskys supermarket in downtown Eldoret to waste some time while my key was being cut. I decided to use their bathroom before I set out on my journey back home. all was fine until i walked out of the bathroom and back into the supermarket. I had a coffee mug hanging off my bag and I felt like it was leaking coffee on my butt even though it was empty. I moved it twice before I heard a low, short whistle from behind the blanket counter. Things were feeling a bit airy so I put my hand on my behind and discovered the hem of my skirt was stuck in the waistband. yup, flashing my double half moons at several supermarket workers.at least i had nice pink underpants on.

probably the first and last time they will see a white girls bum. needless to say i was a tad bit embarrassed, fixed my skirt, and ran out of the store. i spent the next two days holding the back of any skirt down over my butt should i cause further temporary blindness in kenya. the hospitals are full enough!!!

(and, yes, i still do wear the skirt. it is just too comfortable and versatile to retire!)

6 comments:

BevC said...

LOL! Ha HA I giggled at that story! I'm glad you have found some joy and are laughing at yourself.

Anonymous said...

Hi Alida
I'm glad you are presenting some comic relief to the locals.I can just see it happening.Hope things are well and you have things mostly under control.
Love Mom n Dad

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the laugh! Like my mom always said, "wear clean underwear, you never know what might happen!"

Anonymous said...

How is this for in over my head: In order to post my last comment, I had to check my posting on your blog spot last year to find out that my "username" is Jim, not the other weird names that I usually type in. Ok, now I don't know my password....technology!

Jesse and Sarah said...

Very funny Alida. I can picture it all. I just wish that I was there to share the laughs. I loved catching up on you blog tonight.
Sarah

Jesse and Sarah said...

I just noticed when I post that last comment that Jesse's profile picture is Elie in your sunglasses in Eldoret. That was funny.
Sarah