Sunday, March 02, 2008

camps in kenya

last week i visited several camps for internally displaced people in kenya. tens of thousands of people living in tents, makeshift shelters, under tarps. homeless, with nowhere to go. some live close enough to their farm that they can go work on it, but their home was burned to the ground. even a 99 year old man was chased away because he lived in a house owned by someone of the "wrong tribe"
i have not been able to formulate thoughtful words about my experiences, but as per usual, i took hundreds of photos. i posted some of them to a web album. let the images speak without my words.

http://picasaweb.google.com/alidafernhout/RefugeeCamps

i also have some of myself with multitudes of children at the camps, posted under "me in kenya"

http://picasaweb.google.com/alidafernhout/MeInKenya


if you feel at all compelled to support the displaced people in kenya, you can donate to crwrc for this specific purpose: http://www.crcna.org/pages/crwrc_donate.cfm

money donated will be used directly to purchase items such as blankets, soap, cooking utensils, and medicine for the displaced people.

2 comments:

BevC said...

As usual, very well done pictures. It makes me wonder "Where do you start to fix things?" "What is the first step to getting people home, and the country stable?"

rubyslipperlady said...

I wonder those same things and struggle to come to peace with what I choose to do. However, I don't think I'm supposed to have peace but keep struggling to move forward and keep loving and doing.