Monday, May 05, 2008

things i love about kenya

I love red dirt roads, green fields, and blue skies.

I love that I am totally comfortable walking, running, or biking through a herd of cows and they don't even blink an eye.

I love that I can buy really good gouda cheese here.

I love iridescent blue birds that flit in my path when I am feeling sad.

I love full rainbows arching from valleys to fields.

I love that when I start speaking swahili in the market, the price drops dramatically.

I love that I am "baptized" with a name from every tribe.

I love the vast differences in geography and landscape - from volcanoes to salty lakes to blue oceans to huge valleys.

I love that when I go for a run, a 6 year old girl in a satin dress and no shoes kicks my butt.

I love playing football (soccer) in the school field and the girls team beat the boys team:-)

I love hot showers when I get to have them once a week. I will never take them for granted again.

I love that Kenya has really good coffee and that I can satisfy my caffeine addiction every morning with my Java and my bodum.

I love that I am the only woman I have ever seen ride a bike around my village and now young girls want to learn too.

I love that my Kenya mama watches WWF wrestling and loves Hulk Hogan are (well, I at least think it is funny!)

There are many things I love about living in Kenya and I have been reminding myself of these when I get irritated or frustrated.
What do you love about where you live?

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love that you love Kenya.
I also love the new colors that are going on our walls.
Really enjoyed motorcycle diaries,just about fell off the chair laughing.

Anonymous said...

love that you love Kenya.
I also love the new colors that are going on our walls.
Really enjoyed motorcycle diaries,just about fell off the chair laughing

Anonymous said...

Hi Alida,

Thanks for the e-mail and newsletter from a few weeks ago. It's good to hear that the violence has subsided and some semblance of stability has returned to Kenya, I was thinking that you might have to leave the country. I'm enjoying your blog too, sounds like there is LOTS to appreciate about Kenya in spite of everything. I can't remember if I told you about my trip to Asia in February, can I use your e-mail address for that? Anyway, glad to hear from you and that you're doing well, 'biker chick' LOL! Believe it or not, we are still getting snow in Calgary in May; I'm beginning to wonder if this 'global warming' thing is a hoax! Take care and keep in touch. Marc

Anonymous said...

I love that I'm coming to love Kenya through your eyes..Your photos and stories.I love where I live because on a clear day, the mountains appear so close from the deck,and they literally draw me to them.I like that in 1/2 hr...I can be there.I love that, no matter how many times I'm there, I'm awe struck..just like the first time.I love the beautiful sunrise..never the same, and when it sets beyond the mountains leaving a blaze of glory on the horizon.I love the four seasons..each for different reasons..but spring most of all.To me spring represents rebirth..new beginnings, and promise.I love this very moment and place in time, that will never be recreated.And, that's just a few of the things that I love about here.Chestermere, Alberta

Bob said...

Hi Alida. It sounds like you are really blessing the people of Kenya. I thought of you as we were having "World Missions Sunday" yeterday at River Park Church (formerly First Church). I finally read all of your newsletter and it really got me excited about visting Africa one day - except for the driving in Kenya part. It sounds very dangerous! Let us know if there is ever a specific project that would require some visitors for a week or two and I will round up a few of us for the trip! Peace, Bob

BevC said...

I love watching the spindly trees outside my window sway and dance in the wind. I love seeing the new leaves finally poke their heads out to welcome the spring.

I love to see your new home through your eyes too. Thanks for sharing.