Thursday, March 29, 2007

snowboarding saved my life

Amazing grace
How sweet the snowboard
that saved a wretch like me.

chairlifts have a way of bringing out the contemplative side of me; swinging high above pines, peaks, snow, valleys; the sun on my face, joy in my heart, a board on my feet.

i hadn't been out in awhile, and i couldn't believe how much i missed it.

i LOVE snowboarding.

i LOVE that God gave us mountains, snow, and the technology to get up and down them several times in one day.

snowboarding did indeed save my life.

i spent my teenage years in the trenches of anorexia. obsessed with starving myself. thinking and dreaming about how not to eat, how to exercise until i blacked out, how to slowly kill myself via starvation.

through serendipitous events, i received some salvation in the form of a big piece of wood delivered in the mail one day. 163 cm of salvation, painted black with splashes of fluorescent pink. sims swithblade. my new obsession that helped deliver my from my own personal hades.

snowboarding consumed my thoughts, i turned away from my homework every 20 minutes to look at the sims. started reading transworld snowboarding, snowboarding magazine, memorized the 6 brands of snowboards, pored over the new burton catalogue, idolized victoria jealouse, and the other few female riders on the scene in the early 90's. the more i thought about snowboarding, the less i thought about starving myself.

and then started my recovery and acknowledgement that i was suffering.

i am recovered, and i still love snowboarding.

Thank you God, for snowboarding.


No comments: