Sunday, December 13, 2009

joy unspeakable

in a christmas program i attended this past sunday evening, these words, sandwiched in a longer sentence, struck me.

joy unspeakable

perhaps because the words seemed reversed that they particularily stood out. i think more because in the past two years i have experienced joy in my life in ways i have never experienced before.

some people close to me have reflected that i am a different person when i speak of, or when i am in, africa. my conversation becomes more animated, my eyes change, excitement starts building from somewhere deep in my chest cavity. i literally do not control it.

this is joy. it is much more than being happy. it is total and utter contentment, no matter the circumstances. it is understanding that i have been so incredibly blessed to having discovered my calling in life. i am learning to allow that joy seep into my canadian life as well. i felt it when danny, a man who sells a street paper in my neighbourhood, gave me a bear hug yesterday.

joy unspeakable

joyful moments caught in megapixels

i met Hannah, a 12 year old girl in the IDP camp. a week earlier a colleague and i had taken her to emergency to have her broken arm set. my colleague helped the mother navigate the system while i helped the xray tech set multiple fractures.
we were delighted to meet again.


in maasai land while on a safari.
just joyful. just because.


joy x 6
visiting the home of little kenyan alida (the baby)
the adoptive aunt is a kind, caring, and generous woman
who has her hands full with 3 daughters and 2 adopted nieces.

1 comment:

Martin said...

Hi Alida: Joy Unspeakable.. great thought..
I have a talking drum for you that I just hand carried from Nigeria. It needs a permanent home.. Where do I send it?
Much love
Martin