Thursday, November 02, 2006

I need patience

I wrote in a previous post about my frustrations in trying to teach students, trying to figure out the best way to assist them. My thought has been to teach them assessments but I don't know if that will really benefit them as they are not really expected to do full assessments.
The difference in attitude and worldview is so dramatically different from mine, that I cannot wrap my head around it. They live a life that holds no promises; life here has no guarantees, everyday is a struggle to survive. They don't get paid on time, they have to wear the same uniform everyday because they can't afford one for every day of the week, their children get sick and die, or they can't have children, the grandmothers take care of their grandchildren because HIV has wiped out their own children... i could go on and on.
So I am trying to understand this, just as I am sure they are trying to understand me. but i need patience. i hope God grants this to me, or I won't survive!

On a positive note, many people from the village remember me from last year and greet me frequently and welcome me with open arms. When I stopped in at the orphange the toddlers all came running for me (often they are scared by white people) and the "mamas" who work there were cheering, so I look forward to spending some time with them.

I think I need to re-evaluate what I can get accomplished in three weeks. Perhaps my purpose is not to teach the students every detail of a head-to-toe assessment, but encourage them when i see them taking pro-active measures with patients. North Americans like to see immediate results though, and I am no different. but perhaps i am here to plant the seeds, and i will not be able to see the growth.

(I had planned on playing UNO with the HIV patients, but these patients are much sicker than the ones last year. Many of them cannot sit up in bed, so plans change, but the intentions are still there. I will need to get creative)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I want to say something encouraging without sounding too corny, and for me thats hard. I think by you being there, anyone who remembers you has some sort of hope or promise or guarantee, because they see you coming back to help, even though you don't have to and hopefully they know that there are alot of people praying for you and the group you are with, so in turn we are praying for them too. I hope that makes some sort of sense. we are praying for patience for you, among many other things.
Look on the bright side as well, however insignificant; its snowed yesterday and now there freezing rain here.

Ryan