Wednesday, November 15, 2006

there is hope, but not at this internet cafe

so, once again, i typed out a big posting about good stories when only half the computers shut off, mine being one of them. i think i have to update my blog one sentence at a time...

ryan, the OR tech had someone pull his phone out of his pocket and hold it to his ear while he was putting blunt instruments in someone's abdomen. if i have surgery, i would prefer someone's attention is on me and not what the person is saying to his wife...

i have several "hopeful" stories which i have been attempting to share...

today i found some worthy patients to sponsor their surgeries.... gilbert & family, one is a really cute little lady with a huge smile but an even bigger goiter on her thyroid. it is almost the same size as her head!! but is a happy little lady.

when i taught the nursing students today, they were receptive and eager! even the head nurse was open to suggestions! we got the unconcious patient all comfortable and doing better and then he died right in front of me! i hope they don't connect my teaching with patients passing away! they won't ever want me back! that is the 3rd patient who has died in front of me...

there is doctor who runs a village hospital who wants me to start a biosand water filter program in the community, so i am returning in january to get one up and running. if anyone wants to donate some seed money to get it started, the program will be self-sufficient quickly. talk to me when i return if you are interested. the doctor runs a pretty amazing little hospital, it will be interesting to spend time there.

a very physically disabled guy whose community wanted to throw him in the bush when he was born is getting a degree in special education and has defied all nigerian odds of survival and success. he is the only one in his family to get a university education. the boy who was the biggest burden at birth is now described as the "biggest blessing" by his mother. he has a vision to transform the attitudes towards disabled people in nigeria, and he can probably do it!

the hospital engineer works harder than anyone there, and is donating several months of his own salary to fix the electrical work at the hospital. he is going up north to drill water wells on his vacation which is unheard of for a nigerian to do (without getting paid).

all of these people have humbled me, amazed me, astonished me, made me proud and re-instilled some hope that was fading away...

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Alida
That OR tech is pretty funny. I would have grabbed his phone and hung up. I guess you can't really piss anyone off though eh?

Nice to hear someone (the nurses) is finally listening to you. Just joking. Do you have a translator, or do most people speak some english there?

Thats cool that you have plans to return already. What is a biosand filter worth? You could become a biosand filter salesperson and travel throughout africa if the whole nursing thing falls through. Just joking, didn't you learn about those in victoria this past summer?

It's snowed 6"-8" the past week and the snow plows are way behind. I don't mind it though. It gives the city that christmasy feeling.

Anyways, I should get back to work.
Ryan

Anonymous said...

Hi Alida
You sound much more upbeat today. about that sand filter,you should talk to my brother John,he is quite familiar with that sort of stuff,as a matter of fact he designed something along that line quite a whikle ago for a town up north.

M said...

Hi Alida,
I am new to posting comments and I just lost everything what I wrote.
Anyway, I love your blog and I was thinking, you should consider writing a book about your experience in Nigeria (a book with your stories and your great photographs).
M

julie said...

HI Alida,

I have been so busy with my own stuff that although this is my first time looking at your blog this trip you have been in my thoughts. Especially when you said are you doing enough and i envy you so much i wish i could help like you . I read the story about the little boy and it made me cry i could not imagine being his parents and losing a child my gosh.

Katie was playing with her two friends jade and claire and a commercial for world vision came on and i have always told katie how those poor kids dont have the things she has , well anyways katie said to her friends you were there feeding them, i thought it was cute and i told here why you were really there,

Anyways keep up the good work and we all will be thinking of you , my mom is here and says to say hi to you

julie xxxxooooo

Unknown said...

Hi Alida, interesting blog about your latest visit to Nigeria. Being a seasoned traveller and worker in developing countries, I know you can handle it. Keep up the good work, and your sense of humour.

Marc in Calgary

Gilbert & family said...

Hi Alida: Find your blog very interesting and we are following it closely. We are very happy that you are putting the money to good use, it comforts us greatly. We will be in touch with you when you get home as far as a donation for the new well. Gilbert

colette said...

Hi Alida
I forwarded your blog to my friend Joan as I know she will enjoy it as much as I do- it keeps me entertained and sorry to hear about your friend the cow!!! colette