Friday, November 10, 2006

only in africa

only in africa...

...does it take 45 minutes to wait for the blogger site to come up only to have someone shut down all the computers in the internet cafe by plugging in their cell phone.

...do i check my email with goats outside the door, and a compound of mud huts less than 50 feet away.

...see my 'alarm clock' cow killed for market 30 steps from my bedroom door (on a small garbage heap - will make me take a second look at beef soup here).

...it is not acceptable for men and women to hold hands in public, but it is okay to ask me to marry them every day without even knowing my name.

...the same guy proposes marriage to me every morning on my way to work and he doesn't understand why i am turning him down. for pete's sake, he has asked me, so obviously i should accept! and he fully admits it is because i am white and he wants me to take him to canada.

...do african women ask me to marry them so that i will stay in their country.

...a 3 year old looks up at me and in perfect english says "give me money"

...do you see a sign that says "catholic charismatic renewal centre" (catholic AND charismatic? i think my catholic friends will get a chuckle)

...do the OR techs answer their cell phones during surgery.

...do i calmly kill spiders while i am taking a shower.

i hope you get a little laugh! nigeria never ceases to amaze me!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi
We're glad your sense of humor is back.
We hope you tell the guy who proposes,that your dowery is astronomical!!
At least a very, very large herd of cattle,sheep and goats.

Anonymous said...

Hey Alida
I would probably trust a cow coming from there more than here these days. You could probably designate it organic or free range. Plus the whole mad cow thing we've got going on your're probably safer with garbage pile cow. Do they have McDonald's there, because I think thats pretty standard for them. Take so meat, mix in some garbage and salt the crap out of it. Anyways, if your're having problems waking up I could send my old rooster alarm clock from Kellogs Corn Flakes. That would do the trick.

Aren't the OR rooms there sanitized and sterile? How are you allowed to answer your cell phones? I find that pretty funny, but these days people answer their phones in movies, church and classrooms, so that doesn't really surprize me.

Anyways, I gotta go, my cell is ringing.

Ryan

Anonymous said...

Hi Alida,
I have really enjoyed reading your posts - it has given me a much better picture of what to expect next year.
I hope the rest of the trip goes well..I'm sure you'll have many more stories by the time you come home.

Hilary Bezuyen