Friday, September 21, 2007

lenny.

I learned today that my friend Lenny, aka caveman, died this past saturday.
My heart is heavy for the loss but I am relieved that Lenny is now free from the pain of alcholism and street life.

I met Lenny six years ago at the Mustard seed, a homeless shelter in downtown Calgary. I only knew his street name, Caveman, for about two years. It was in a rare moment of sobriety that he told me his real name. Lenny did, indeed, look a bit like a caveman. He was blind in his right eye, so wore a black pirate-like patch over it. His hair was long, wild, and scraggly and his bushy beard often had remnants of food in it. He had a wildly decorated stick he used as a cane and wore the same clothes for weeks at at time. I have seen people cross the street to avoid him, I crossed the street to meet him.

Despite his "rugged" appearance and almost constant state of drunkennes, Lenny had a soft heart and an engaging personality. I think even the police liked him. He was well-known and well-liked by paramedics and downtown clinic staff. In fact, I was behind Lenny in line at the downtown medical clinic a few weeks ago. The staff greeted him like an old friend, or a prodigal son. They treated him and let him sober up in the waiting area. As we left the clinic together, Lenny wished me well on my journey to Kenya. I wished him well period.

I will have a moment of silence today in rememberance of my friend Lenny.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Alida
I'm sorry to hear about lenny. Its good that you can always look on the bright side and not let things like this become a burden over you. I will pray for you today.

Tracy R. L. said...

Alida,

I'm glad I found your post because I only found out on Wednesday evening that Lenny had died. I was asking my usual, "Hey, has anyone seen Caveman lately?" and someone told me 'he died on saturday.' Someone else said 'we had a service for him on saturday.' Someone else metnioned where Caveman was found.

That's it.

Nobody told me WHICH Saturday, really, and nobody wanted to talk too much more about this topic.

I'll go down to the Seed next week and talk to staff about it. I would have gone to the service, for sure, if someone had answered me weeks ago when I asked my usual, "Hey, had anyone seen Caveman lately?"

Thank you for posting...and now I know his real name. Someone had told me about 18mo ago that his name was Patrick.

It is strange how people don't communicate well when the topic is someone marginalized and homeless like LENNY was, eh?

teeray~~